Friday 17 May 2013

Finding the Real Programmer

A question or shall I say, a quest to find the Real Programmer has gone in vain so far. Yes, a real programmer, the one we hear stories about. I too like any budding programmer turned too the most powerful tool at my disposal, Google. After searching for quite some time I have drawn my conclusions which I want to share with you.

I have made a small test that helps you determine whether you are a real programmer (or not).  So are you ready to face the moment of truth. There are two question you have to answer and be truthful about.

Question 1: Do you breathe? Can you touch yourself ? Can others see you ?
Question 2: Can you code? Forget how you code or what you use?

If the question to the first question is yes, then it's safe to say you are Real. If second answer is yes, then you are programmer, to sum it up you are a Real Programmer.

So, why this eternal debate? I assume that it has got to something with our quest to get better at programming. I don't understand when people say:


Real Programmers use emacs/vim, while idiots or fake one's use IDE's


I say to hell with it. Aren't we, as programmers supposed to use things that make our life easier and us more efficient? Surely, earlier IDE's  may not have been good enough to satisfy the programmers at that time. But that doesn't mean that today people who use IDE's are idiots who can't do things by themselves. Don't think whats cool work with what makes you more efficient. If you can code better in IDE's that's fine, if you are amazing with the emacs/vim/notepad be my guest. But both parties should put down their swords down and work towards progressive code and better software.

This question at Programmers S.E. made me laugh, but after going through some answers/comments I felt that we are still very caught in the Real/ Unreal things that Real things that matter may get left behind. IMO we should not be categorized by what tools we use, programmers may be categorized by their experience and knowledge. It's amazing that you can debug code by scanning the code, but even if you have to fire up a debugger, you don't have to sink in shame.
These tools are made for you and by programmer's. If it were a bad thing it would not have been done in the first place.

For me a good programmer is one who remembers that first, we have to solve problems and code is just a tool for that.

Similarly another debate I fail to understand is the one of Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac. When you head over to The Verge's forums, you are sure to find apple fanboys going to microsoft tribe to post a rant or vice-versa, this is less of an issue specific to programmers but it doesn't mean that we are untouched by this trend. When it comes to frameworks we are always at war against other language/frameworks. Every discussion on the frameworks has a comment like X sucks Y rules.

I think that this war will not make us better programmer. As for being Real, the real programmer does not care about Windows/Linux/Mac more than he cares about the problem at hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment